Wednesday, December 17, 2008
My Favorite Potato Soup
* 4 cups chicken broth (I use vegetable broth)
* 6-7 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1/4 cup onion, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (leave this out if your kids are spice whiney's like mine!)
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into chunks
1. Combine broth, potatoes, onion, and spices.
2. Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
3. Smash a few of the potatoes to release their starch for thickening.
4. Reduce to low heat.
5. Add cream cheese.
6. Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.
*also some good add-ins are cheddar cheese and scallions on top, a mild Italian sausage mixed in, corn, bacon, chives or carrots.
*Extra good served in a bread bowl!